Wondering about vaccines? Not sure where to start?
I’ve been talking to an obstetrician whose wife is expecting their first child.
He’s wondering about vaccines and vaccine safety.
He wants to make sure he’s making evidence-based decisions.
New science about vaccines is emerging every month.
But the good folks at the CDC, who I believe mean well and care deeply about children’s health, are stuck in a tremendous and inefficient bureaucracy.
The CDC does not change their vaccine recommendations based on the latest information.
They have never taken a single vaccine off the recommended schedule, though they continue to pile more on.
All of this seems to be to the detriment of our children’s health.
The medical doctor I’ve been talking to who is wondering about vaccines and vaccine safety asked me for some vaccine safety resources.
3 Books to Read if You’re Wondering About Vaccines
1. How to Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor by Robert Mendelsohn, M.D. Written in 1987, the information in this book is as relevant and accurate today as it was back then. The late Dr. Mendelsohn was a champion of home birth, skin-to-skin after birth, and natural health techniques. I’ve read this book cover to cover three times. I also use it as a reference. The first time I read it I was wondering about vaccines. At first I was put off by how adamant he is against them! But even if you don’t agree with everything in the book, it will get you thinking.
2. Your Baby, Your Way, which took me three years to write, is the result of over ten years of research. It’s a book that will help you navigate every aspect of your pregnancy, childbirth, and baby’s first year of life. If you’re wondering about vaccines, you can start with the chapter entitled, “Boost Your Bottom Line” (a quote from an article in a trade magazine for doctors about how to make more money selling vaccines).
3.The Vaccine-Friendly Plan, which I co-wrote with Paul Thomas, M.D., is the go-to resource for vaccine information, as well as detailed (and referenced) information about what every parent needs to know to raise a child with a healthy immune system and an intact brain.
3 Articles to Read if You’re Wondering About Vaccines
- Flu Vaccines in Pregnancy by Cindy Schneider, M.D.
- Why Medical Doctors Are Concerned We’re Doing Too Many Too Soon
- A Yale-Trained Vaccine Scientist Weighs in on Vaccine Safety
1 Documentary Series to Watch if You’re Wondering About Vaccines
The Truth About Vaccines is a 7-part documentary series.
I was interviewed for it, as was my co-author, Dr. Thomas.
I recommend watching a couple of episodes.
I recommend this with the caveat that some of the information is NOT accurate.
I paid thousands of dollars to have my books fact-checked and the factual inaccuracies drive me crazy.
There are also “verbal typos” in the interviews that I wish had been edited.
But I recommend anyone who is wondering about vaccines watch an episode or two.
This documentary series gives you an overview of why so many smart parents and doctors have concerns about vaccine safety and safe vaccination.
You have to pay for the series but it is periodically re-shown for free. You will get some unwanted spam when you give them your email address.
Something Else to be Aware of if you’re Wondering About Vaccines: Toss the Tylenol!
It’s of vital importance for every new parent to read up on the toxic nature of acetaminophen.
Pediatricians continue to recommend giving children acetaminophen (baby Tylenol), even though that’s one of the most harmful things you can do to a child who has just been vaccinated.
How much baby Tylenol is safe? Find the answer here.
Are there better, safer alternatives to Tylenol? Yes!
If you’re partial to reading science, this review article by a team of researchers from Harvard University and Duke is an excellent place to begin.